Friday, February 16, 2007

Week 6, Thing 14 - Explore Technorati

There's a huge difference in search results on Technorati when you search "Learning 2.0" in blog posts (I got 34,554) compared with searching the same term in tags or blog directory. The results when searching by tags or blog directory are more relevant to the search term, which makes sense. The 'search in blog posts' (in this instance) renders way too many results since it's just producing results by keywords.

As a blogger, the advantage of tagging is that your blog posts are more likely to be found by people searching for blog entries on your subject. However, one of the disadvantages is that there is no controlled vocabulary. It gives a blogger greater flexibilty to tag their posts with natural language keywords, but it can be tricky to figure out what terms to search as a blog searcher.

Looking through the popular blogs list on Technorati, I did find some interesting stuff. I was familiar with Boing Boing, but I wasn't familiar with Techcrunch or 43 Folders. Techcrunch is a blog "dedicated to obsessively profiling and reviewing new Internet products and companies." 43 Folders is "Merlin Mann’s site about personal productivity, life hacks, and simple ways to make your life a little better." I think Techcrunch and 43 Folders are great for keeping up with innovative technologies. I've added them both to my bloglines subscriptions.

1 comment:

Virtual Services Team said...

I know what you mean about the limitations when you're not using a controlled vocabulary. I can tell you are a librarian becasue other people don't realize this is a problem! Thanks for passing on your newly discovered blogs.